Gallaudet University in partnership with Georgetown University: Professor Petitto leads training for high school students
June 26, 2019
Washington, DC — As part of a Georgetown University sponsored program called “The Leadership Initiative Program” (a renowned training program Directed by Marshall Bailly), a special invitation was extended to Professor Laura-Ann Petitto to lead training for high school students on Wednesday, June 26 with her team in the Petitto Brain and Language Laboratory for Neuroimaging, BL2.
Petitto and the BL2 team were honored to accept this wonderful invitation and to be included among the esteemed Georgetown University scientists and scholars who will be conducting related training sessions exclusively at Georgetown.
More than 80 students from all over the world attended Dr. Petitto’s training.
Professor Petitto and her team extend a special thank you to Professor James Giordano for extending this lovely invitation (Professor Giordano is in the Departments of Neurology and Biochemistry, and Chief, Neuroethics Studies Program, Pellegrino Center for Clinical Bioethics, Georgetown University Medical Center).
The full team of scientists and scholars who will be teaching in this program is as follows:
- Kyle Shattuck, of the GUMC Neuroimaging Core Facility
- Dr. Adam Green, whose work explores the neural bases of creativity
- Dr. Michael Ullman, whose work addresses neuro-cognitive bases of language
- Dr. Laura-Ann Petitto of Gallaudet University, whose work investigates neuro-cognitive processes of language and communication in deaf and hearing persons
- Richard Schena, whose ongoing work centers upon advocacy for patients with Parkinson’s disease, and support for the clinicians who treat them
- Mia Masden, who trains, coaches and directs personal and professional leadership sills, knowledge and aptitudes in the healthcare sector
- Dr. John Shook, a philosopher/ethicist who is engaged in developing an integrative approach to globally applicable neuroethics
- Dr. Claudia Sotomayor (GUMC tour guide and presentation expert-judge), who is a physician-ethicist of the Pellegrino Center for Clinical Bioethics and the Department of Medicine at Georgetown University Medical Center